This Toolkit for Evaluating Educational Events can assist you in determining what elements of an educational event to evaluate and how to complete that evaluation. It is the second of a series of toolkits that provide practical guidance on delivering meaningful educational events for all staff. The first toolkit is entitled: Toolkit for Planning Education Events; both can be accessed online at www.community-networks.ca (type toolkit name into the search box).
The series features a structured, easy-to-follow, multi-step process to guide anyone tasked with delivering a training or educational session for their organization. Each toolkit includes templates and samples. They are based on best practice in the field of adult education and the expertise of individuals with many years of experience in the design and delivery of educational events. This particular Toolkit provides guidance on how to develop an evaluation for your educational session that is realistic in scope and scale.
Who Is It For?
Need to evaluate an educational event at your organization? Not sure where to start? Perhaps one of the following situations applies to you:
- Someone just asked you to prove that your training program is improving staff performance and client outcomes.
- You were handed your boss’s favourite evaluation tool to capture feedback on a new high-profile workshop series.
- Your department head has told you that the CEO wants proof that your educational sessions are worth their budget allowance – you’ve heard that things are going to be tighter next year and s/he is looking for areas that can be trimmed.
- You received some specific funding to run an educational event and want to report back to the funder about the impact and to request additional funding to run it again.
How Does It Work?
Whatever your situation, just follow the steps in this toolkit and you can produce a high-quality evaluation that can advance your participants’ learning outcomes and respond to your stakeholders’ interests! A full set of templates is provided, as well as samples to show you how each step might look.
- Step 1: Determine the Evaluation’s Purpose
- Step 2: Estimate Evaluation Resources
- Step 3: Design the Evaluation Tool(s)
- Step 4: Implement the Evaluation Tool(s)
- Step 5: Analyze the Data
- Step 6: Present the Results
You can explore the toolkit by using the links in the menu and/or by downloading any of the following documents to review offline: